


Sitting in the midst of Palenque´s Mayan ruins felt like sitting on top of the world. The Mayan world! It was absolutely stunning. I was so hot and sweaty I felt like I was about to melt, but I just could not move. I was transfixed by just how incredibly beautiful it was, an entire civilisation spread out in front of me, sticking out of the dense lush green jungle. From on top it looked like a giant 2000 year old jigsaw puzzle scretching out for miles around. Truely incredible and impossible to do justice to with words. Go and see it!
Back in the depths of the jungle I retired to my Cabana and spent the rest of the evening munching on burritos and sipping tequils cocktails (not nearly sick of either yet!) and listening to sounds of ´la Selva´, which comes alive at night with the buzzing and clicking of a million insects and animals )something I try not to think about when I first slide my feet into bed!).
The next day was a 5.30 am start, as there were 2 more big deal ruins to see: Bomanpac and Yaxchilla. The first of the two is only accessible by a boat along the river that pretty much divides Mexico and Guatemala, so i pretty such saw where I will be in a week or so.
The ruins were thmselves stunning, with a maze of tunnels when self sacrifice took place, a steam room (like that would have been necessary in this heat), and ball court, where it is believed the winner was sacrificed to the gods and even a hotel (though it obviously no longer takes reservations). Bonampac was a less grand but had stll intact brightly decorated interior walls, depicted various deities, more sacrifce (naturally) and daily life. Quite incredible when you think these painting are as old as our Man Jesus! The site also had trees which the locals called ´the tourists' because the bark has a thin skin which turns red in the sun and then peels off - Ha!
Anyway, I think I am done with ruin for a while now. Onward and upward into the highlands I go, to San Christolbal de las Casa, and into Zapatista territory. Vale!

What an amazing journey - it is even more impressive and mysterious covered in jungle than a well cleared archaeological site.
ReplyDeletehad you ever thought of being a travel writer - that was a vivid description.
Hope San Cristobal lives up to expectations.
xxxx
Glad to see that somewhere in your travels you are discovering amazing cultural bits and that it's not all about what you are eating and drinking. (Actually, delete the eating bit!). Your Mum is right - why not put pen to paper while you are there, enough to turn it into a full scale articles for travel mags on your return. Better than real work. Your writing is very effective, and really conjures up the feel of the place. Keep the blog coming. Lots of love. x (God, I sound like I am marking the blogs - typical English teacher.)
ReplyDelete