





Well its fair to say my visit to Merida was a little less cultural than I had planned. I did manage to make it there in time to see the street party in full throttle (via a quick trip to the famous Chichen Itza - along with about another 9 million camera wielding tourists and a bus ride that can with the worst guitar player in the world. I did involve a yummy tuna bagnette a la Kate though). Anyway, imagine a plaza full of tipsy OAPs salsa-ing their little socks off to an amazing 10 piece live band and you are there!
I sat down with a beer and within a few minutes I had be invited to join a couple of Londoners and a very drunk Texan who looked like Ronald Regan and spoke just as much shit. We soon did a runner, scoffed some fahitas and sank a few cocktails before bed. note to self: Copa de Nada is NOT a cup of nothing! On the contrary, it has tequila, run and gin in it, among other things....hummmm.
I enrolled in a city tour with the boys the next morning (the afore mentioned londoners who I must say are total gentlemen, if a ´tad´ on the posh side ;). Anyway, I lost them half way through when I went to buy fags, so i decided to check out the market, which in true latin American style was hot, hectic, noisy, dirty, smelly and absolutley ace! stalls piled high selling everything and anything. 2 sweaty hours later I emerged from the chaos with enough fruit and veg for a month and was in need of a nap!
Some hours later we decided to hit the town, and after a coffee in a wind tunnel that I am told served chicken that tasted like fish, we ventured out into the plaza, which was alive again, this time with dancers dressed a sceletons spinning round with trays of beers on their heads (?) and got stuck into some cocktails. A few Copas de Nadas later and I was wearing a huge Sombrero and requesting some Ace of Base be played. Bed soon folloewed obviously. Brits abroad anyone?
Still rather drunk the next morning, I hit the market again, this time with a camera (pics to follow later). I purchased a collection of rather weird Holloween sweets in the shape of skulls and what look like grim reapers (yours presents guys), along with a Spong Bob Square Pants Piñata and a Halloween mask which makes me look like Wednesday from the adams Family, and that i have decided is coming with me around Latin America and of which there is a picture of me in the hostels pool.
Despite being told by a number of reliable sources that the 2.30 bus wouldn´t get us to the local ruins (Uxmal) in time we bought our tickets and boarded the bus with a bunch of dungerees wearing, deleverance style red neck hill billys, two of which were clearly both gay and related to each other.
Low and behold, we arrived with about half an hour before it closed, and just as the heavens opened on us. It was actually very athmospheric, and hillarious, tearing around in the pouring rain. We were even treated to a beautiful mini rainbow before it really did chuck down and we decided to huddle under the tree by the road and wait for the bus back home.
So we waited. and we waited. And as it started to get dark, I began to wonder about the level to which my newly found friends would be able to rescue me if the sit was to hit the fan and the local mafia decided to jack us for our cameras and selection of iphones (sorry guys, but its true ; ). Anyway, fear not, we were saved by a little old lady, who after flagging down a pick up truck, turned to us and recommeneded that we get in the back.
20 wind swept minutes later and 50p lighter we were dropped off at the nearest town and after one last soaking we were whisked off in our ice cold bus back to Merida, shivering, but buzzing with the excitement of our adventure. A hot shower and an enormous pizza later, it was alreday beginning to feel like a distant memory.
I love travelling! x

Dad says 'Less of the Copa de Nada'!!
ReplyDeleteGreat blog - how do you get the time to do it.
All Dad and I could manage was to scratch a weekly postcard!
It sounds as if the Day of the Dead is a bit like Bonfire Night ie it goes on for a long time and in contrast Brighton is starting to feel a teeny bit boring.
I am very glad there are old ladies on hand to look after you and plug you into the local transport systems - I hope travellers here would get the same tlc........?
Can't wait for the next episode.
Look after yourself
xxxx